Friday, April 15, 2011

Maritime Museum of San Diego - San Salvador

Keel Laying of the San Salvador. Spanish Landing Park.
On my way to Coronado, I saw a lot of people and news vans on Harbor Island. I had come across the ceremony for the keel laying of the San Salvador, which was the ship that founded San Diego in 1542. I can't escape history here, and with the mayor and other city officials giving speeches and toasting with champagne, I don't know why I would want to. The mayor added that it would be “a proud addition to the Maritime Museum” which is why I have included this ceremony in my gallery listings, but I will also visit the Maritime Museum (www.sdmaritime.org) in its entirety for a future posting. 
Among the speakers were Kumeyaay tribal leaders, which made me feel like I was in Seattle for a bit. During the Kumeyaay Birdsinger’s Blessing, the name of Highway 8 suddenly made sense to me, the Kumeyaay Highway, running right in the middle of the Kumeyaay Nation territory. The Kumeyaay were included because the San Salvador was the first ship which brought Europeans and West Coast Native Americans into contact. There will also be a small Kumeyaay village built (another tourist destination). 
I’m excited to see the progress of the ship being built, especially since it is located on a great biking trail that runs along the waterfront. It will be a full-scale, working replica of Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo’s flagship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment