Thursday, April 14, 2011

ARTS - A Reason To Survive

ARTS. 2820 Roosevelt Road.

I was drawn into the building by a van that had the letters v-a-n-g-o painted on the side with colorful pictures - it was a word-play on the artist van gogh and the fact that a van goes. Clever and cute, I had to see what was inside, after all I was on an art mission. It turns out I had stumbled upon ARTS (www.areasontosurvive.org) A non-profit center dedicated to teaching art to children to transform their lives. It was a great and positive place that had a couple musicians jamming out, painters in a studio, and a gallery (among other things). 
The gallery contained a variety of media, including cloth “dolls”, with quotes because not all had arms or legs, or human heads. Also there were unique dream catchers/chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, a few paintings, and an old grill painted red, with alien-esque eyes popping out of the lid. All in all, I found the pieces highly creative and fun. I remember when I participated in an after school arts program in the fifth grade and my paintings were displayed in a gallery in my neighborhood. I felt so proud to see it in that setting, with the gallery light shining on my purple watercolored flowers. Really, a great place to admire the works of the next generation, or to send your own child to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment